Monday, December 22, 2008

Mi-Ne Sushi @ TST, Hong Kong

visit date:  December 2008

Mi-Ne Sushi has several outlets around Hong Kong, and the one at Causeway Bay (the one on the tram route, second floor, close to Sogo) is a regular hangout for my family members. The price is right, with a good selection averaging around $15 - $25 per plate, the fish is good, and they have some interesting ones beyond the traditional just-fish-on-rice (like using the flame torch, some special sauces, etc. etc).

Well, this past Sunday I was heading to watch the Hong Kong Ballet's performance of The Nutcracker and would be in TST.  My cousin suggested that we try the TST Mi-Ne because they have some special manager specials not available in the CWB branch, including.....*drum roll* a foie gras + salmon sushi.  The CWB branch has foie gras sushi (delicious, delicious at $35 per piece)...but foie gras + sushi was new.  With that knowledge, we made up our mind to go to the TST Mi-Ne.

We got there around 17:45 and we were the first customers of the evening.  Very nice.  I hate hate hate waiting in line for food, no matter how good it is.  

A very pretty and appetizing place mat.

We sat in a booth because it was easier to chat and share plates.  If I was by myself or with one other person, I like sitting on the sushi conveyer belt.  I don't like grabbing plates off the belt (how long have they been sitting there?!?!) but I still like watching the little plates go by.

It was the first time I have had the chance to admire Mi-Ne's interior.  The CWB branch is usually so packed with the people.

The wasabi is readily available in a box on your table.  You can help yourself to as much as you like.  

Wasabi marinated shrimps.  Spicy, good texture.  However, I think I like the marinated  infused octopus more.  Even more chewy and has a good slimy texture that is very interesting to eat.

Swordfish toro.  A white fish...not very strong in flavour, but a very interesting flavour.  Got a good bite to it, not squishy like salmon or tuna.

Roasted eel.  Comes hot!

Salmon, torched and served with a slice of lemon and salt.  This is sooooo much better than just regular salmon!  You can taste a bit of the smokiness (torched smell?) from the torch-blowing process, but it's also still tender like sashimi.  Plus the salt and lemon gives it an extra kick!


The highlight.  Foie gras with salmon.  They serve it with a sweet sauce.  When you put the combination of foie gras, salmon and the sauce in your mouth...I am not sure even how to describe it but the combination simply amazing.  The best part?  Whereas a single foie gras sushi is $35 (though admitted the piece is much bigger) this manager's special is only $20 for TWO pieces!  We ordered four plates.  I wish we had room for more!

Old favourites include scallop sushi.  So big and juicy.

Sea urchin sushi.  Love...

We ordered more than enough for the 3 of us.

Our tally.  Actually not that much...our family has gone through towers of food before.  TOWERS.


As for the Nutcracker performance, I really enjoyed it!  I may have gone in with lowered expectations because I have already seen the Nutcracker before (once in TO - really grand production, and once in Vienna) and I really was not sure how the HK ballet production would match up.  I was pleasantly surprised!  The dancers had great technical skills and the orchestra was top-notch.  My favourite dance sections were the snowflakes dance and the Arabian dance.  If I was to compare the HK performance with the other productions I've seen...I'd say this company has a lot of skills, but not necessarily a lot of flair?  The most lacking part was the set.  But this is probably because I compared it with the TO set...which has a Russian setting and the set is very elaborate and grand.  To be honest, I sound like I am nit picking now, but I really wasn't comparing the different performances in my head when I watched it.  I just sat back and enjoyed...and enjoyed I did.  :)  It was thoroughly really nice production!

Here are a couple of photos not of the show, but of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre in TST:



No comments:

Post a Comment